Who is involved in the Scottish Medicines Consortium?
The Scottish Medicines Consortium is a committee of clinicians, pharmacists, NHS board representatives, the pharmaceutical industry and the public. Members of the committee consider a broad range of evidence in order to decide which medicines should be accepted for use by NHSScotland. Most of the clinicians have a direct role in patient care, while our three volunteer public partners ensure the views of the Scottish public are taken into account during decision making. This wide mixture of backgrounds ensures decisions are made from a broad perspective. The committee meets once a month.
The committee is supported by a team that includes pharmacists, health economists, public involvement professionals and administration support.
The New Drugs Committee
The New Drugs Committee (NDC) is composed of clinicians, pharmacists and pharmaceutical industry representatives. It meets monthly to assess the clinical and economic evidence presented by companies for each new medicine and this evidence is supplemented by testimonies from our network of clinical experts across NHSScotland.
Not all clinical specialties can be represented on our committees, so we have established a network of clinical experts comprising consultant physicians, surgeons, clinical pharmacists, general practitioners and clinical nurse specialists. We consult with these experts about all new medicines under review and to support our horizon scanning function.
Our executive’s role is to guide the work of SMC and make decisions on process and policy issues to determine the overall direction of development. The executive consists of the chair and vice chairs of the SMC and NDC committees, together with SMC senior staff.
Public Involvement Network/PIN Advisory Group
The Public Involvement Network (PIN) is made up of patient and carer groups who have submitted evidence to SMC – our patient group partners. Their day to day contact with patients and carers ensures the views of those they represent are captured and used to inform our processes.
PIN also has a core advisory group which works with SMC to continuously improve how we involve patients, carers and members of the public in our work. Membership includes PIN patient group partners, our public partners and a clinical expert SMC Committee member.
SMC User Group Forum
Our user group forum provides an opportunity for representatives from the pharmaceutical industry with hands-on experience of health technology issues to work collaboratively with SMC. The group meets quarterly to address technical and process issues and facilitates pharmaceutical industry representation on NDC and SMC committees.
Declarations of interest
All committee members and SMC staff are required to make a full declaration of interest on appointment and annually thereafter, in accordance with our code of practice on declarations of interest. Members are also required to declare relevant interests at meetings, regardless of whether those interests have previously been declared to SMC.
Additionally, clinical experts and patient group partners involved in the work of SMC are required to complete a declaration of interests.
Want more information?
Declarations of interest for SMC are aligned with Healthcare Improvement Scotland Evidence Directorate policies.
Click the link to view the definitions and policies.
Our committees and groups
- New Drugs Committee membership
- Scott W Muir, Chairman, Consultant Physician and Clinical Pharmacologist, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde
- Robert Peel, Co-Vice Chair, Consultant Nephrologist, NHS Highland
- Jennifer Laskey, Co-Vice Chair, Clinical Lead Pharmacist for the Cancer Medicines Outcomes Programme, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde
- Sophie Barrett, Consultant Oncologist, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde
- Guthrie Blackhurst, Consultant Physician in Diabetes and Endocrinology, NHS Lanarkshire
- Jane Browning, Lead Pharmacist, Medicines Management Team, NHS Lothian
- Anthony Carson, Senior Clinical Pharmacist, NHS Lanarkshire
- Fiona Doney, Pharmacy and Medicines Directorate, NHS Grampian
- Tracy Duff, Lead Pharmacist, NHS Lothian
- Fiona Green, Consultant Diabetologist, NHS Dumfries & Galloway
- Craig Harrow, Consultant Physician, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde
- Gillian Jardine, Lead Pharmacist, NHS Ayrshire & Arran
- Zsofia Kiss, Senior Health Outcomes Manager, GlaxoSmithKline
- Vinod Kumar, Consultant Physician, NHS Tayside
- Faria Qureshi, Senior Pharmacist, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde
- Maureen Reid, Primary Care Pharmacist, NHS Lothian
- Omar Saeed, Principal Health Outcomes Manger (UK and Ireland), Sanofi
- Duncan Wilson, Senior Clinical Pharmacist, NHS Fife
- SMC Committee membership
- Mark MacGregor, Chairman, Medical Director, Golden Jubilee National Hospital
- Gordon Loughran, Co-Vice Chair SMC, Lead Pharmacist for Community Health & Social Care, NHS Dumfries & Galloway
- Morag Alexander, Public Partner
- Karthik Bommu, Consultant Psychiatrist, NHS Fife
- Paul Catchpole, Value & Access Director, ABPI Scotland
- Michael Dickson, Chief Executive, NHS Shetland / NHS Orkney
- Michael Eddleston, Professor of Clinical Toxicology, NHS Lothian
- Jane Goddard, Consultant Nephrologist, NHS Lothian
- Charlie Gourley, Professor and Honorary Consultant in Medical Oncology, NHS Lothian
- Roger J Hardman, General Practitioner, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde
- Alex Jones, Public Partner
- Jennifer Laskey, Co-Vice Chair NDC, Clinical Lead Pharmacist for the Cancer Medicines Outcomes Programme, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde
- Catriona McMahon, Lead Pharmaceutical Industry Representative, ABPI
- Robin McNaught, Director of Finance, State Hospital, Carstairs
- Scott W Muir, Chair NDC, Consultant Physician and Clinical Pharmacologist, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde
- Avideh Nazeri, Clinical, Medical & Regulatory Director, CMR UK
- Paul Neary, Consultant Cardiologist, NHS Borders
- Robert Peel, Co-Vice Chair NDC, Consultant Nephrologist, NHS Highland
- Graham Scotland, Reader, University of Aberdeen
- Yvonne Semple, Director of Pharmacy, Golden Jubilee National Hospital
- Alison Stillie, Consultant Clinical Oncologist, Western General Hospital, NHS Lothian
- Marc Turner, Medical Director, Scottish National Blood Transfusion Service
- Scott Urquhart, Director of Finance, NHS Forth Valley
- Carla Verschueren, Public Partner
- Alice Wilson, Deputy Nurse Director, NHS Dumfries & Galloway
- SMC executive
- Ailsa Brown, Lead Health Economist, SMC
- Jennifer Dickson, Senior Public Involvement Co-ordinator, SMC
- Noreen Downes, Principal Pharmacist, SMC
- Jacob George, Professor of Cardiovascular Medicine and Therapeutics, Honorary Consultant Physician and Clinical Pharmacologist, NHS Tayside
- Scott Hill, Principal Pharmacist, SMC
- Jennifer Laskey, Clinical Lead Pharmacist for the Cancer Medicines Outcomes Programme, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde
- Anne Lee, Chief Pharmacist, SMC
- Donna Leith, SMC Operations Manager
- Gordon Loughran, Prescribing Support Pharmacist, NHS Dumfries & Galloway
- Mark MacGregor, Medical Director, Golden Jubilee National Hospital
- Pauline McGuire, Principal Pharmacist (Interim), SMC
- Scott W Muir, Consultant Physician and Clinical Pharmacologist, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde
- Robert Peel, Consultant Nephrologist, NHS Highland
- Public Involvement Network (PIN) Advisory Group
- Morag Alexander, Healthcare Improvement Scotland Public Partner
- Daniel Cairns, Myeloma UK - Scottish Cancer Coalition nominated member
- Jennifer Dickson, SMC Public Involvement Co-ordinator
- Natalie Frankish, Genetic Alliance UK - Rare Disease UK nominated member
- Scott Hill, ADTC Collaborative Member
- Alex Jones, Healthcare Improvement Scotland Public Partner
- Lindsay Lockhart, SMC Public Involvement Adviser
- Robert Mitchell-Thain, The PBC Foundation (UK) Ltd - The ALLIANCE nominated member
- Alison Stillie, Consultant Clinical Oncologist, NHS Lothian: clinical expert
- Carla Verschueren, Healthcare Improvement Scotland Public Partner
- SMC User Group Forum
- Aysha Aslam, AbbVie
- Catriona McMahon, Lead Pharmaceutical Industry Representative
- Aidan Byrne, MSD UK
- Ailsa Brown, Principal Health Economist, SMC
- Alison Culpan, Director, ABPI Scotland
- Jennifer Dickson, Public Involvement Co-ordinator, SMC
- Susan Donaldson, Pfizer
- Noreen Downes, Principal Pharmacist, SMC
- Lucian Gaianu, Bayer
- Rowena Holland, GW Pharmaceuticals
- Christopher Kiff, Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Zsofia Kiss, GSK
- Anne Lee, Chief Pharmaceutical Adviser, SMC
- Donna Leith, Operations Manager, SMC
- Gordon Loughran, SMC Co-Vice Chair
- Pauline McGuire, Principal Pharmacist, SMC
- Jade Marshall, GW Pharmaceuticals/Jazz Pharma
- Farhan Mughal, Daiichi-Sankyo
- Rosie Murray, Secretariat Manager, SMC
- Tania Podkonjak, Takeda
- Omar Saeed, Sanofi
- Gavin Stewart, Amgen
- Helen Wright, Principal Pharmaceutical Analyst, SMC