European Antibiotic Awareness Day (EAAD)
European Antibiotic Awareness Day (EAAD) is an annual campaign held on 18th November since 2008 and since 2015 forms part of World Antibiotic Awareness Week. SAPG has led activities in Scotland to support EAAD since 2009 and works closely with colleagues in Public Health England to raise awareness amongst health and care staff, patients and the public about the need to use antibiotics more wisely to stop antimicrobial resistance
This year we are again supporting the Antibiotic Guardian campaign led by Public Health England (PHE) which encourages members of the public and healthcare professionals to make a pledge about how they will personally use antibiotics more prudently, and becoming Antibiotic Guardians. This year, PHE’s goal is to reach 100,000 registered antibiotic guardians by 31 March 2017 and we will be utilising NHS Scotland versions of the Antibiotic Guardian resources to support this aim.
This year we have also designed a new “Stop Antimicrobial resistance” poster, leaflet and colouring in sheet featuring ‘scary bacteria’. These will be used in hospital and community settings and will feature as the Community Pharmacy Public Heath campaign in the month preceding EAAD.
Resources for EAAD 2016 are available here:
- Stop Antimicrobial Resistance Poster
- Stop Antimicrobial Resistance Leaflet
- Antibiotic Guardian Poster
- Antibiotic Guardian Leaflet
- Antibiotic Guardian Quiz - still to be uploaded
- Antibiotic Crossword - still to be uploaded
The 'scary' bacteria on this years' leaflet is here to print out and colour-in Stop Antimicrobial Resistance Colouring in sheet and lots of games which are fun and earn antibiotic guardian badges. here http://antibioticguardian.com/Resources/junior-family-antibiotic-guardian/
As well as these resources you can still access resources from 2015:
· Community Pharmacy leaflet. Self Care Leaflet for Community Pharmacy
· Out of Hours Leaflet. Out of Hours Treat your infection leaflet
· e-bug materials for school children http://www.hps.scot.nhs.uk/haiic/ic/index.aspx
· TARGET antibiotics toolkit available on the RCGP website to improve prescribing practice.
· Nursing in Stewardship Workbook Antimicrobial Stewardship - an Educational Workbook for Nurses and Midwives
Older materials and leaflets in other languages are also still available. You can find them here EAAD materials from 2014·